While the quintessential American fair food has to be the corn dog, there’s nothing healthy about this food on a stick. We decided to make a healthier version of the corn dog with a kid-friendly twist. Deep frying is replaced by baking, and instead of an unwieldy eat we made these into mini-muffins perfect for little hands.
Videos From Tinybeans
1 cup of unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup of sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
1/4 vegetable oil
3 hot dogs cut into 1/2 inch pieces (veggie, chicken apple sausage, beef, or any type you like)
Mini muffin tin
1. Preheat oven to 425 and grease mini muffin tins.
2. Mix the first four dry ingredients in one bowl; mix the wet ingredients in a second bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
3. Sautee your 1/2 inch hot dog bites for a few minutes over medium heat.
4. Pour batter into prepared muffin tins until each is 3/4 full. Put one hot dog slice into each batter-filled muffin cup so it’s submerged in the batter.
5. Bake for 13-15 minutes until golden brown.
Will you make this bite-sized eat for your kids this summer?
photo credit: kae71463 via flickr