While a romantic, candlelit dinner for two may not be in the cards for you this Valentine’s Day (because, kids!), there are still plenty of ways to celebrate with the whole family. From a “Where Is the Love” Scavenger Hunt at South Coast Botanic Gardens to locally made Valentine’s Day-themed craft kits, here are 14 V-Day activities and events for LA families.
Videos From Tinybeans
1. Your kids are invited to a special Feb. 14 with Annenberg Petspace. The virtual Pal-entine's Day Party includes crafts, a puppet show and, of course, a visit from PetSpace's adorable, adoptable pets.
2. Visit Meri Cherry on Instagram to see all the oh-so lovely process-based art projects she has for kids in February. Pasta press clay hearts, anyone?
3. There's still time to pick up one of Design Hive's Sensory Boxes for Valentine's Day, complete with play-dough, pipe cleaners, felt hearts and more. If the V-Day boxes sell out (they're immensely popular), check out the other fun Sensory Boxes and DIY Makers Kits from the LA-based kids design and technology studio.
Take a Nature Walk
4. Why not spend the day at one of our favorite LA botanical gardens? Discover all the hidden spots at South Coast Botanic Garden, as part of the self-guided Where is the Love Scavenger Hunt on Valentine's Day weekend.
5. At Descanso Gardens, wander over bridges, across streams and under a canopy of towering oak trees. And don't miss the stunning display red, pink and white camellia flowers in full bloom this month.
6. Another option? Drive to Arcadia to mingle with the peacocks and other wildlife at the sprawling 127-acre Los Angeles County Arboretum. On Sat., Feb. 13, the Arboretum also kicks off its 4-week outdoor Whole Family Yoga series.
7. From a virtual flower arranging class to an audio tour of the sculpture garden, The Huntington Botanical Garden offers a slew of Valentine's Day options for the whole family.
Pack a Picnic
8. Fill your basket, grab a blanket and dine al fresco at one of LA's best hidden picnic spots.
9. Don't know what to pack for your picnic? Check out these readymade baskets you can pick up around town.
Make Some Music
10. Join in a virtual concert with LoveBug & Me Music's interactive Valentine's Day Love Fest, taking place on Feb. 14.
11. Get your tickets to Laurie Berkener's live Valentine's Day concert. The performance will feature tunes of love, family, and friendship, like "A Hug From My Mama," "I Love You Daddy," and "My Family."
12. Celebrate Valentine's Day with the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. They will be hosting a Zoom music and art class just for kiddos!
Break Some Hearts
13. Forget a basic box a chocolate. Find out where in LA you can get two of the latest dessert crazes smashable "pinata" hearts (filled with candy) and melt-in-your-cup hot chocolate bombs. How sweet it is!
14. Psst...want to try your hand at creating your own heart-shaped confections? Get the silicone molds here.
featured photo: Anna Kolosyuk via Unsplash
19 Awesome Things to Do in LA This Month with Kids