This all-inclusive in the Dominican Republic has chill vibes, a gorgeous beach, and tons of activities for kids
Cap Cana is a popular destination for travelers seeking a luxurious Caribbean vacation in Punta Cana. It spans over 30,000 acres and offers a variety of amenities, including white sandy beaches, world-class golf courses, marinas, restaurants, and shopping centers. The area is known for providing guests with a luxurious secluded escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
Margaritaville Cap Cana is a tropical oasis in the heart of the Cap Cana resort community. Less than a 30-minute drive from Punta Cana International Airport, the resort sits on Juanillo Beach, known for its calm waves, pristine white sand, and stunning turquoise waters, making it one of the Dominican Republic’s best-kept secrets.
The resort features various amenities for guests, including a beach club, multiple swimming pools, a spa, and several fine dining options. The rooms and suites are decorated in a tropical, island-inspired style and offer guests all the modern comforts they need for a relaxing stay. In addition to the resort amenities, guests can also explore the surrounding area, including a Jack Nicklaus-designed golf course, a marina, and plenty of water sports and outdoor adventures. Whether you’re looking for a romantic getaway or a fun-filled family vacation, Margaritaville Cap Cana has something for everyone.
Families looking for the ultimate kid-friendly experience should stay on the new family side of the resort—Margaritaville Island Reserve Cap Cana Waves. This resort is not your typical kids-centered property, but there is a great kids’ club and activities for tweens and teens, including tennis and beach volleyball.
This property is a good option for families looking for a luxurious escape, whether celebrating a special occasion or getting off the beaten path. Accommodation types range from condo-style double rooms to beachfront honeymoon suites making it a good option for multi-generational and group travel.
What We Loved at Margaritaville Island Reserve Cap Cana
Juanillo Beach, with its powdery white sand, low palms that sway gently in the breeze, and clear turquoise water, is the perfect place to lounge the day away. Margaritaville Island Reserve Cap Cana makes it even easier with a selection of Balinese beach beds that are free for resort guests. Keep in mind that because the beds are free, they can get taken early in the morning; the good news is that guests didn’t occupy the beds all day. So if you were late getting out, you’d still get a chance throughout the day. If you decide to spend the day at the beach, there is a beach bar and restaurant on the beach. There is a buoy across the entire length of the beach making it a good spot for swimming with kids.
The pool area is almost as big as the beach, with an adults-only section, a kids’ area, and a general area. With the many options to choose from depending on whether you are on the family or the adults’ side, you don’t have to worry about getting space at the pool. You can reserve Balinese beds for the day at the pool for a nominal cost. There is even a splash pad and baby pool area for families with infants.
St. Somewhere Spa
The world-famous St. Somewhere Spa offers many healing and holistic treatments to ease stress, including massage, body wraps, and facials. They also have a water program, including a hydrotherapy area with a sauna, steam room, red-light shower, sensory pools, thermal loungers, and more. The spa also has a lagoon-like “polar pool” where water is kept at 50 ° F to stimulate blood flow and improve circulation.
The Golfers Package :
The new and exclusive Golfing in Paradise package offers guests twice the play time at the Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course Punta Espada, ranked as the #1 course in the Caribbean and Mexico by Golfweek. The golf course is located just a short drive away from the resort. In addition, the package includes coverage for green fees, cart fees, and caddie fees, providing guests with a hassle-free and enjoyable golfing experience.
Where to Eat at Margaritaville Island Reserve Cap Cana
Most restaurants are available to the whole family, except Rum Runners, which is adults-only. JWB Steakhouse is both adult and family-friendly, with a separation between the two sides. All the restaurants offer complete decadence, and the only recommendation is to attempt to try them all.
The Boathouse Eatery
This buffet-style restaurant is one of the most impressive we’ve seen with its large variety of options. You’ll want to go to the boathouse for breakfast or brunch. You can get most of your items fresh to order, and they even have fresh juice stations and paleo + keto pancake options.
There are many stations if you want something quick, but if you have the time, treat yourself to delicious eggs of any style, made-to-order fluffy pancakes and golden waffles, pastries, and smoothies your way. This might be the largest selection of vegetarian and vegan options catering to different dietary and lifestyle needs.
KöS – Mediterranean Tavern
The culinary journey in KöS is where the Mediterranean meets the Middle East. KöS offers a full a la carte menu and a Chef attended station. KöS is located poolside, near the family-friendly pool.
Cheeseburger In Paradise
“Cheeseburger in paradise, heaven on earth with an onion slice, not too particular, not too precise.” Located directly on the beach, it’s the perfect spot for a quick bite or a full lunch.
LandShark Brewery & Grill
Beer lovers rejoice! LandShark Brewery is as much a surprise as a treat. Open from lunchtime until 1 a.m.; it’s the ideal place to enjoy a LandShark Lager made in the on-site brewery. If you want to celebrate an event with friends or family, the restaurant’s second floor can be reserved for private parties of up to 80 guests. In the evenings, there is often live music.
Frank & Lola’s- Italian Trattoria
Frank & Lola’s open-kitchen concept dials up the Italian trattoria experience, offering a wide selection of classic dishes made from ingredients sourced from Italy. Enjoy your pick of homemade pasta and complement your meal with one of the many carefully curated wines displayed in the showcase cellar. Celebrating a special occasion? You can book a private dinner inside the wine cellar or on one of the restaurant’s two romantic terraces.
The ultimate of fine dining within the Margaritaville Island Reserve collection, JWB is a destination in and of itself. Guests enjoy a lavish four-course dinner that encompasses mouthwatering appetizers, crisp salads, hearty entrees, and decadent desserts—all included in your stay.
Mon So Wi
Mon So Wi brings the best of Pan-Asian cuisine inspired by the vibrant street food scene of Asia. The vibe in the restaurant is happy and energetic. The menu includes classic street food favorites like satay ribeye skewers, crispy-fried Vietnamese spring rolls, and samosas with spicy coriander sauce.
This is an adults-only restaurant open from 12-5. The Dominican Republic and the West Indies have a long history of producing some of the best rum in the world, Rum Runners offers guests an opportunity to explore and savor this history. Whether you go for the rum or the food, get the churros dessert.
Compass – Gin Inspired Bar
There are five bars to choose from and Compass is a fave on the family side primarily because it’s in the lobby of the family section, so you don’t have to go too far from the rooms. Along with a full bar offering, Compass showcases a wide array of the world’s most recognized artisan gins. Compass is a great spot for pre-dinner or late-evening cocktails. Even better, some evenings there’s a pianist.
Joe Merchant’s Coffee & Provisions
Here you’ll find freshly brewed Dominican coffee and espresso drinks, natural smoothies, freshly baked pastries, and sandwiches and desserts. You’ll also find many gluten-free and vegetarian options and multiple milk options here. A favorite was the fresh juices you can take with you to the beach or if you are going on an excursion for the day.
Your Personalized Minibar
Adults and kids will love the personalized mini bar concept. Instead of putting the same items in the minibar every day, you get a certain amount of points that can be used at Joe Merchant’s to customize your minibar. Whether that’s beer and wine, KitKat and Oreo, or nuts and chips, you have an entire store to choose from. This was one of the biggest highlights for the kids.
Tips for making the most out of your stay at Margaritaville Island Reserve Cap Cana:
- Downloading the app is a great way to see all the offerings throughout your stay. Most restaurant menus are directly on the app, but you can ask for a regular menu if you don’t want to walk around with your phone.
- Various watersports are included, including paddleboard, catamaran, and snorkeling.
- If you feel like staying active, you can start the day with Beach Front Yoga, and get things moving with a game of tennis, pickleball, or beach volleyball.
- The hack that parents in the know use for kids who are looking for more children’s activities like a waterpark is to break up the trip with four nights at a kid-friendly property like Nickelodeon Resorts and then spend the last three nights at Margaritaville Cap Cana, where the kids still get a chance to have fun but the parents really truly get the opportunity to relax in luxury, enjoy fine dining restaurants, and experience the bliss of the Cap Cana beach and surrounding areas.
- If you’d like a night without the kids, there is a certified babysitting service available at additional costs.
Things to do nearby Margaritaville Island Reserve Cap Cana
There is so much to do on the resort you might not want to venture out, but if you are looking for day trip ideas:
- Go on a deep-sea fishing trip: Cap Cana is known for its excellent deep-sea fishing opportunities. You can charter a boat and go fishing for marlin, tuna, and other game fish in the deep waters surrounding Cap Cana.
- Island Tour: Saona Island and Catalina Island are two popular day trip destinations from Punta Cana, located off the southeast coast of the Dominican Republic. Saona Island is a protected nature reserve that boasts some of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean. On the way to the island, the tour includes stopping along the way to snorkel or swim in the clear waters. Once on the island, visitors can relax on the beach, take a walk through the mangrove forests, or enjoy a traditional Dominican lunch. Saona Island is also home to various wildlife, including iguanas, sea turtles, and various birds. Catalina Island is another popular day trip destination known for its crystal-clear waters and abundant marine life. Visitors can swim, snorkel, or dive in the reef. Both Saona Island and Catalina Island offer visitors the chance to escape the crowds of Punta Cana and experience some of the natural beauty and rich culture of the Dominican Republic.
- Visit the Indigenous Eyes Ecological Park: This nature reserve is an excellent place for kids to learn about the local flora and fauna. They can hike through the forest, swim in the natural lagoons, and observe the many different species of plants and animals.
Editor’s note: This trip was paid for by Margaritaville Island Reserve Cap Cana but all opinions belong to the writer.