Splash pads to fairy houses to (nearby) island getaways all await Bay Area families in what will be an epic summer
The sun is out and summer is here! We are ready for exploring and adventures galore this summer and have collected our favorite Bay Area activities to share with you. Whether it is kayaking, sidewalk games to play at home, camping by the beach, or even indoor activities for hot summer days, we found it all for you. Find your faves below!
1. Outdoor concerts are one of the best things about summer so you'll definitely want to check out the Stern Grove Festival.
2. Dining with views of the Golden Gate Bridge? Yes, please! This list has all the best outdoor dining spots.
3. Skip the produce aisle and head to a local farm to pick your own berries!
4. Gimme s'mores! You don't have to go camping to get these ooey-gooey treats around town.
5. Try out one of these upscale fast food joints where the whole family will be happy.
8. Spend the night in a treehouse, literally! You'll love the view!
9. Check out Quarry Park in Rocklin where you can zipline over the quarry!
10. Visit Japan without getting on a plane. You can get all the ramen, taiyaki and Sanrio you want in San Francisco’s Japantown.
11. Plan a wine country weekend and let the kids come along!
12. Spend a summer afternoon exploring these bike paths and bike parks that are perfect for tiny two-wheelers.
13. Road trip time! Spend some time exploring these 10 California road trips.
14. Explore Marin County with our kid-friendly recs.
15. Check out Bill’s Backyard, the awesome outdoor discovery area at the Children’s Discovery Museum of San Jose.
16. Cool down in calm waters. Check out one of these swimming beaches perfect for kids!
17. Grab your kids some free grub at these restaurants where the shorties eat free.
18. Get your glamp on! Book a few nights at a nearby cabin, yurt, lighthouse or safari tent (with real bathrooms and showers!). We are especially looking forward to a return visit to Wildhaven in Healdsburg.
20. Have the kids tried all of these iconic San Francisco desserts? What are you waiting for?
21. Bike rides, kayaking, and awesome eats are waiting for you in Healdsburg.
22. See the world from the dinner table: Try a kid-approved exotic dish at a local restaurant to add some spice to your meal routine.
23. Touch a starfish! Head to a nearby tide pool and get up close and personal with local sea life.
25. Jump in a kayak and explore your city by sea.
26. Talk about fresh eggs: spend the night at a nearby farm!
28. Head to Corona Heights and check out the must-visit Randall Museum. With a model railroad, toddler playground, art studio, and LEGO building, it’s fun for kids of all ages. Bonus, admission is always free!
29. Pint-sized Picassos and mini Monets will love these art centers where you can drop in for a day of inspiration.
30. Get your STEM on at these science centers from SF to Sausalito where the kids can learn about robots, animals, space, and more.
32. Where’s the only place you can visit an aquarium, planetarium, and natural history museum, all under one “living” roof? Our California Academy of Sciences guide is all you need to make the most of your visit. Get Tickets Here
33. Hop on a cable car and explore all that Market Street has to offer. Get the insider’s scoop here and save some time for a slice at Delarosa.
35. Ever enjoyed lunch while underwater bowling? Make your next meal a memorable one (in a good way!) at one of these themed restaurants where there’s more than just burgers and fries.
37. Plan the perfect picnic. We've got a shortlist of the best spots right here.
38. On a hot day, the Monterey Bay Aquarium is the place to be. Get our tips on how to maximize your day there.
39. A day in Golden Gate Park doesn't have to break the bank. It is full of free activities and sunshine. Summer is the perfect time for a visit.
40. Eat under the sun by dining at one of the Bay Area's many kid-friendly breweries.
41. Make this the summer the kids perfect their kicks. Enroll them in swim lessons at one of these trusted locations.
42. Crane Cove Park is awesome and you'll want to check it out!
43. Check out this list of all our favorite things to do in the Presidio including some bike paths and the kid-friendly Battery Bluffs.
44. Visit CuriOdyssey, climb the dragon-themed playground at Coyote Point and enjoy the uniquely-delicious waffles at Eggettes when you visit San Mateo.
45. Get some up-close-and-personal time with the animals at these wildlife centers.
46. Hop aboard these ships that offer a history lesson on the water.
47. Find out how your favorite foods are made, from jelly beans to fortune cookies, by going on a family-friendly food factory tour.
49. Take a trip to the islands without leaving the Bay Area—Alcatraz and Angel Island.
50. Pitch your tent at these campsites where you can hear the crashing waves as you curl up in your sleeping bag.
51. Two words: Ice Cream.
52. Check out the Children's Creativity Museum and, of course, the carousel.
53. Check out Ghirardelli Square and the super fun mini golf spot, Subpar.
54. Take the kids fishing.
55. Have the kids become Junior Park Rangers.
56. Find opportunities for the family to volunteer together this summer.
57. Search for fairy houses all over the Bay.
58. All aboard on these Bay Area train adventures.
59. Summer means it's time to find a splash pad near you!
60. Take a trip to Great Wolf Lodge where you can splash down as a family!
61. Visit the Junior Museum and Zoo in Palo Alto.
62. Check out a food hall for a culinary trip around the world.
63. Plan on a San Francisco staycation.
64. Fun after dark = family date night!
65. Explore a treetops adventure or rope course this summer.
Additional reporting by Christine Lai