While getting an ultrasound is the best way to tell the gender of your baby, here are other fun alternatives parents-to-be like to try
It’s no surprise you’ve been doing some serious daydreaming about who, exactly, is in there. Before you dive into full-on baby shower planning mode, have some fun trying these at-home baby prediction tests to find out how to tell the gender of your baby. Can a wacky at-home prediction test tell you if you are having a boy or a girl? Well, you’ll have to try these tests to find out. (Regardless of the outcome, these incredible gender-neutral nurseries should have you covered.)
Videos From Tinybeans
Related: 10 Fun & Easy Baby Shower Games
1. Carrying high? That's supposed to mean you'll have a girl, while a low rider means boy.
2. If your skin has that pregnancy glow, chances are you're having a boy, according to one old wives' tale. If you're breaking out, get ready for a girl.
3. Look at your breasts in the mirror. If your right breast is larger than your left, you're having a girl. If your left breast looks larger, it's a boy.
4. Consult a Chinese gender chart, which uses your age and the month you conceived to determine how to tell the gender of your baby.
5. Energetic fetuses are thought to be boys, while chill babes in utero are predicted to be girls.
6. Pee in a cup (you should be a pro at this by now after all those doctor's visits), and then mix in 1 tablespoon of Drano drain cleaner. If the color turns green, you'll have a girl. Blue means it's a boy. (Be careful with this one. Drano can be toxic, so wear gloves and a mask or have someone else do this experiment for you.)
7. At your next prenatal checkup, check out baby's head on the ultrasound. If it's square-shaped, then you're having a boy. If you see a rounder head, it's a girl.
8. Tie a ring on the end of a piece of string. Sit down and have someone hold the string over your belly. If the ring swings in a circle, you're having a girl. If it swings back and forth, it's a boy.
9. That dark line that runs from your pubic bone straight up the center of your belly (known as the linea nigra) is said to indicate baby's sex. If the line stops at your belly button, you're having a girl. If the line continues up to your ribs and chest, it's a boy.
10. The faster baby's heart rate is, the more likely you're having a girl. The slower the heart rate (below 140 beats per minute), the more likely you're having a boy.
11. If the skin on your hands is dry and chapped during pregnancy, you're more likely to be carrying a boy. Smooth skin means it'll be a girl.
12. If you're craving salty foods, then you're pregnant with a boy. Are you jonesin' for something sweet? Then it's a girl you're carrying.
13. Since you have to pee all the time anyway, pee in a cup one more time. Then drop in some baking soda. If it fizzes, then it's a boy; if it doesn't, it's a girl.
14. Here's another pee test: Boil a head of red cabbage in some water. Save the red cabbage water and mix it in a cup with your urine. If the water turns pink, it means a girl is on its way. If the water is purple, you're having a boy.
15. Next time you wake up in the morning (or from one of those much-needed pregnancy naps), check which side of your body you're sleeping on. Left side indicates boy, while right means girl.
16. This one is similar to the Chinese chart above. The Mayans take the mama's age at conception and add it to the year baby was conceived. If it's an odd number, the baby is a boy. Even means it's a girl.
17. If your morning sickness lasts beyond the first trimester, some people think you're carrying a girl. If your sickness subsides or you didn't have any to begin with (lucky you!), then it's a boy.
18. If your baby bump looks like a basketball, it could be you're having a boy. If your baby bump is more spread out across your waistline, then it's a girl.