Trying baby led weaning or transitioning your child from purees into more solid foods? Jump right into baby finger foods. Even without many (or any) teeth, you’d be surprised what delicious real-food bites your tiny diner can enjoy. Here are 14 tasty recipes for baby’s first finger foods and kid-friendly baby led weaning foods.
photo: Ajale via Pixabay
1. Oven-Baked Falafel: This protein-rich dish from Pass the Plants is baked for a less-greasy texture, creating bite-size balls that are perfect for tiny fingers to pick up.
2. Crispy Baked Chicken Nuggets: Kids love chicken nuggets, and this super-kid-friendly recipe is free of egg, dairy and spicy seasonings young eaters may not like. You’ll find it on Kristine’s Kitchen.
3. Banana Toast: A twist on traditional French toast, this recipe from One Handed Cooks adds potassium-rich mashed bananas to the dipping mixture. Cut into strips, these make a yummy and easy-to-handle finger food.
4. Grain-Free Teething Biscuits: Created by a nurse, these grain-free teethers have a super nutritious ingredient list: coconut and cassava flour, applesauce, maple syrup, molasses, egg yolk, plus spices. The recipe also includes clove, a spice some say soothes teething pain.
5. DIY Yogurt Bites: You could buy similar snacks pre-made at the store, or save some cash and turn baby yogurt into bites with a cookie sheet, waxed paper and your freezer. Learn how thanks to DIY Danielle.
photo: KathrinPie via Pixabay
6. Pumpkin Banana Pancakes: All you need is a ripe banana, pumpkin puree, eggs and baking powder to whip up these healthy flapjacks for your baby. Serve with berries instead of syrup. Find the recipe at Healthy Food for Living.
7. Sweet Potato Chickpea Patties: Blend herbs, spices, chickpeas, sweet potatoes, whole grain flour and oat bran to make these hearty patties for your baby’s dinner. Find the recipe on Momtastic.
8. Banana Oatmeal Fingers: Cook oatmeal and banana together and then shape the mixture into easy-to-hold strips with the help of the instructions on Thrifty Fun.
9. Broccoli and Cheese Muffins: Yogurt, broccoli and cheese come together in these savory muffins that deliver veggies in a fun-to-eat way. Get the recipe at Baby Led Weaning.
10. Carrot Zucchini Parsnip Frittata Fingers: This frittata becomes finger food when baked and cut into strips. The three veggies in this recipe from Taste.com contain important nutrients for baby.
11. Steamed Veggie Spears: No recipe needed for this one. Cut carrots and zucchini into strips and broccoli into florets. Steam them—softer for younger babies and harder for older tots—and serve. The bright colors and interesting textures will encourage baby to take a taste.
12. Apple and Cheese Quinoa Balls: Here’s an easy way for your baby to eat this super grain. Mix cooked quinoa with grated apple, cheese and egg. Brush with olive oil and bake as directed in the recipe by Little Grazers.
13. Baby Turkey & Veggie Meatballs: Spinach, carrots and panko bread crumbs go into these baby-friendly, meaty bites created by Momma Always Knows.
14. Blueberry + Avocado Mini Muffins: You’d never guess these blueberry muffins contain vitamin-rich avocado just by tasting them. Get the genius recipe from Baby Foode.
— Julie Seguss