Our great big list of fall activities for kids will keep them (and you) busy all season long
Fall has arrived in all its splendor. Crisp, golden mornings and changing leaves mean a whole new kind of fun for Portland families who don’t slow down when the weather turns. So grab your calendar and get ready to pencil in exciting fall activities that’ll keep your crew busy until winter arrives (hint: they’re not all area Halloween events either). From pumpkin picking to weekend getaways to seasonal experiences and more, we’ve rounded up a slew of fall activities for kids and families in Portland you won’t want to miss.
Videos From Tinybeans
1. If you haven't already, now's the time to head to a local pumpkin patch to pick out your future jack-o'-lantern. These pumpkin patches offer a whole lot more than a U-pick pumpkin experience. We're talking pony rides, challenging corn mazes, and a chance to take home your own dirt baby.
2. Apple season is in full swing, but that doesn't mean it's too late to go apple picking. It's just one of the many activities you'll find at local farms offering fall festivities.
3. Sit for a spell and watch the sunset during fall's longer nights.
4. Score some awesome winter wearables for every kid in your family at one of these beloved consignment stores where you are sure to find the best deals around. Hint: they're also great spots to score a new-to-you Halloween costume for that one time wear.
5. Plan an island escape that only takes an afternoon. Soak up the last vestiges of sunshine and warm weather with sand, frogs on pond trails, and nature adventures in the city.
6. Bundle up your baby and head out with the stroller. We've got the best trails for joggers and walkers mapped out so you can use them any time of year.
7. School is in, so mid-week getaways can be challenging. Upgrade your fall adventures when you strike out on a fantastic day trip for a change of scenery.
Related: Portland's Best Free (& Cheap) Family Events in October
8. Who says dining al fresco is a summer-only activity? These heated patios mean you and the kids can eat outside even during the rainy months.
9. Free and discounted museum days? Count us in!
10. There are breweries all over Portland that welcome kids. Some even have kids' areas so you relax, sit back, and enjoy that brew or game on the big screen. Go Ducks!
11. Check out the fall colors at these stunning spots you won't want to miss.
12. Cast a line at a new or favorite fishing spot.
13. Eat at a rad restaurant that's been a First U.S. National Bank, a barber shop, and a post office.
14. Water fun doesn't end with summer. Strap on your hiking boots and hunt for the splashiest waterfall on some of these great hikes.
15. Make your way to OMSI. Why? Because it's packed full of Marvel superheroes kids (and parents) love right now.
16. Roll through the season with an old-school activity that anyone can play. Strikes, spares, and splits are the name of the game.
17. Save some cash when you dine at these spots, where kids eat for free (or under $5).
18. Goonies never say die! Head to Astoria in the off-season when you need to get away over the weekend. We've got plenty of off-the-beaten-path destinations that are worth checking out and don't draw crowds.
19. Sure you've got your favorite neighborhood park you frequent. But Portland is packed with destination playgrounds, you've likely never heard of. Discover awesome new playgrounds for your kids today. Don't forget to bring a towel to dry off slides and swings!
20. Are your kids getting bored with inside time during the rainy season? Try one of our favorite places to play outside—no plan necessary.
21. You don't want to miss the opportunity to see all of Oregon in its seasonal beauty. So, hit the road with the kids in search of new adventures.
Related: No School, No Problem! 9 Places to Play on a Day Off
22. Head to one of these cozy cabins for a fantastic family getaway. Stay warm by the fireplace after a day out exploring the PNW autumnal beauty.
23. Find a hauntingly good Halloween celebration your kids will love. There are so many to choose from around the city.
24. Make a break for the Columbia River Gorge with a totally unplugged family getaway. White water raft, explore ice caves, and hike through some of the most beautiful scenery when you do.
25. Make s'mores over an epic bonfire when you camp at one of these seasonal camping spots. That's right, it's not too late in the season to pitch a tent (or hang in a yurt) We promise.
26. Make a plan to sleep in the trees with the kids. Our tip? Book one of these spots while you can; they go fast.
27. Need a plan for days when the kids don't have school (we're looking at you fall teacher conferences)? We've got you.
28. Go on a dizzying adventure when you check out one of these corn mazes. After you are done, you may even find a friendly animal to play with or a treat for the hungry tummies in you crew.
29. Seek out one of the city's little known spots with the kids when you need a new adventure.
30. Zip through the falling leaves at these adrenalin dumping zipline location.